Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A different way of life

Here you never know when the electricity will go out and when it does, how long it will stay off. Same thing goes for the water except it does not happen nearly as much. Have you ever heard of not being able to get cold water? Interesting , eh? So that happens here in Dakar because the pipes get so heated in the ground.

So tonight I went to the store determined to get some protein in my diet. Alas, I found a can of lentils and some swiss cheese. I came home and decided to brave the way they cook here. It is a little can on the ground that you turn the gas on and light it. Somewhat like a gas stove but different indeed. So the electricity blew out just as I found the can opener. Ah! I cooked by candle light.

On the bus ride home I had tears in my eyes because of the immense poverty here. The thing is that there are all these people on the street that haggle you to buy, buy, buy. The taxis beep at you every two seconds because there is way more supply than demand. When you tell the people no thank you , etc. they are often quite nasty and rude and literally have no concept of the word no, no matter what language you say it in. When you get to take a breath sometimes it is hard because you realize that is their way of living. They just haggle people on the street for hours on end in the baking heat. Then you feel bad for being so aggravated. The wierd thing is that you would buy a heck of a lot more stuff if you could just look but there is no concept for that either.

On the bus today this woman offered me a seat next to her. I cannot tell you the joy that brought to my face. It was such a gift.

My favorite thing of each day is coming home to the little boy and girl that live at my house. They always make me smile no matter how bad my day is. I brought them a couple of movies and they just watch them over and over and over because there is not any children´s tv here. Tonight we watched Curious George in French-again! LOL I do not know what I will do when I am at my next place and they are not there. I am sure something else will come about however.

So mosquito season has started! It was nice and overcast today.

Gabrielle

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I must say I love your posts. They are not to wordy, but say so much about what your doing. It's great to read. Do you need anything? Are we able to send you stuff??
Lydia